Taylors District History
In order to serve the infrastructure needs of people living outside the municipalities, Special Purpose Districts (SPD’s) were created. A Special Purpose District (SPD) is a district created by an Act of the General Assembly or pursuant to general law and which provides any governmental power or function including, but not limited to, fire protection, sewerage treatment, water or natural gas distribution or recreation. A Special Purpose District also means any rural community water district authorized or created under the provisions of Chapter 13 of Title 6. Special Purpose Districts do not include any state agency, department, commission or school district.
On April 28, 1958, Act No. 1099 of the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina for the year 1958, created Taylors Water and Sewer District as a Special Purpose District in Greenville County. The District is operated, managed and governed by a commission. This commission consist of three resident electors of the district to be elected by the qualified electors of the district. The Commission was charged with the responsibilities of constructing, operating, maintaining, improving and extending a water distribution system, a sewer system, a system for the collection and disposition of garbage and a system for fire protection within the boundaries.
On March 25, 1966, Taylors Water and Sewer District sold its water distribution system to the City of Greenville, South Carolina, Waterworks System (known now as Greenville Water) but continued to provide fire and sewer services. On June 14, 1968, Act No. 1546 of the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina for the year 1968, changed the name of Taylors Water and Sewer District in Greenville County to Taylors Fire and Sewer District and to relieve the district of any authority or responsibility with reference to a public water distribution system.
In September 1970, Taylors Fire and Sewer District agreed to sell, Western Carolina Regional Sewer Authority (then Greenville County Sewer Authority, as known now as Renewable Water Resources) all sewer trunk lines, right‐of‐ways, and sewage treatment plants, including all plant equipment and any land adjacent to the treatment plant for future expansion. This was due to be in compliance with Section 8 of Act No. 745 of 1967, as amended, of the South Carolina Statutes. This left Taylors Fire and Sewer District with the maintenance responsibility of the collector lines which serves each resident and a large number of septic tanks.