Taylors Fire & Sewer District is currently accepting applications for a Sewer Technician.
- AN APPLICATION IS REQUIRED.
- RESUME ALONE WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED UNLESS ACCOMPANIED BY AN APPLICATION.
- AN APPLICATION CAN BE OBTAINED HERE.
An application is required to be submitted. Resumes alone will not be accepted unless accompanied by an application.
SEWER DEPARTMENT JOB DESCRIPTION:
GENERAL POSITION DESCRIPTION:
The purpose of the position is to participate in the maintenance and repair of wastewater collection system truck lines, manholes and other system components, and to perform other technical and manual work as required. This position works according to set procedures under close supervision. This position reports to the assigned Supervisor/Director of Sewer Services. This
position shall be considered non-exempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The tasks listed below are those that represent the majority of the time spent working in this position. Management may assign additional tasks related to the type of work of the position as necessary.
- Assists in the maintenance and repair of wastewater collection system trunk lines, manholes, pump
stations, and other system components.
- Assists in maintaining and repairing right-of-ways.
- Performs routine landscaping and paving work as necessary at the completion of maintenance and repair projects to repair property damage.
- Locates, raises, and lowers manholes.
- Operates heavy and specialized equipment as necessary, including but not limited to trucks, trailers, backhoes, mowers, cement mixer, air compressor, etc; operates pipe saws, jackhammers, and other hand/power tools as necessary.
- Provides traffic control and worksites to ensure citizen/crew safety.
- Performs all work in accordance with applicable policies, procedures, regulations, and standards of safety. Maintains accurate and up-to-date records of work performed.
Maintains assigned vehicles, tools and equipment.
- Receives and responds to inquiries, complaints and requests for assistance in areas of responsibility.
- Works on-call 24 hours per day as scheduled for emergency response.
- Attends meetings, training, seminars, etc., as appropriate to enhance job knowledge and skills.
PREFERRED TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
Requires a high school diploma or equivalent with over one year and up to and including two years’ experience of maintaining a sanitary sewer system and using sewer maintenance equipment and training; or any equivalent combination of education and experience, which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. Must possess a valid state Position “B” CDL Driver’s License.
Must be able to receive and follow instructions. Must be able to communicate well with other crew members and have good people skills. Must possess or obtain within two (2) years the following
license/certification: Class C License in Wastewater Collection System Operations from the Water Environment Association of South Carolina.
PHYSICAL AND DEXTERITY REQUIREMENTS:
Requires medium work that involves walking, standing, stooping, stretching, climbing, pulling, pushing or lifting some of the time, traversing uneven terrain, entering confined spaces, and also
involves exerting between 20 and 50 pounds of force on a recurring basis, or considerable skill, adeptness and speed in the use of fingers, hands or limbs in tasks involving very close tolerances or limits of accuracy.
The job may risk exposure to bright/dim light, extreme heat and/or cold, wet or humid conditions, dusts and pollen, extreme noise levels, vibration, fumes and/or noxious odors, traffic, moving machinery, electrical shock, confined spaces, disease/pathogens, toxic/caustic chemicals, dangerous gases.
Requires copying, transcribing, entering or posting data or information.
Requires the ability of speaking and/or signaling people to convey or exchange pertinent and vital information to co-workers. Includes the receiving of information and instructions from supervisor.
Requires reading technical instructions, procedures, manuals and charts to solve practical problems; composing routine reports and specialized reports, forms and business letters with proper
format; speaking compound sentences using normal grammar and word form.
Requires doing clerical, manual or technical tasks prescribed by standard practices but which may require computation, the use of several procedures, and the use of independent judgments with
obvious choices; requires normal attention for accurate results.
Requires using basic algebra involving variables and formulas and/or basic geometry involving plane and solid figures, circumferences, areas and volumes, and/or computing discounts and interest rates.
Requires the ability to inspect items for proper length, width, and shape, and visually read various information.
Requires the ability to coordinate hands and eyes rapidly and accurately in using heavy construction machinery; to operate motor vehicles.
Requires the ability to handle a variety of items including control knobs, switches, hand and power tools, etc. Must have significant levels of eye/hand/foot coordination.
Requires the ability to differentiate between colors and shades of color.
Requires the ability to deal with people beyond giving and receiving instructions. Must be adaptable to performing under minimal levels of stress when confronted with an emergency or tight
deadline. The worker may be subject to danger or risk to a moderate degree.
Requires the ability to talk and hear: (talking: expressing or exchanging ideas by means of spoken words; hearing: perceiving nature of sounds by ear). Must be able to hear and understand
communications through a telephone/radio.